About Archangel Imaging:
We believe the teams of the future will be hybrid, with humans working alongside machines to solve persistent, global problems, and we’re building that future using the latest in advanced AI technologies and connected edge devices.
With projects ranging from anti-poaching protection to rail trespass monitoring, we excel in helping companies protect their remote assets and we’re proud to have won several international awards for our work. We’ll provide you a high-paced, challenging and fulfilling environment to further your career, empowering you to help you shine in your role.
We are looking for an Embedded Software Engineer with excellent software development skills and preferably a science or mathematics background. These skills will be used to develop our smart cameras, wireless communications devices, drones and robotics, all capable of being deployed in remote places.
The successful candidate will contribute to the software/firmware design and development for all our devices, working with the Tech Lead and the Computer Vision Engineers to deliver low power edge-AI, vision and wireless comms devices. There is plenty of scope to own entire solutions and grow into a leadership role.
The ideal candidate is a great team player with a scientific mind. A good communicator, very hands on, capable of prototyping, design, development and testing. They will need to understand or learn aspects of how computer vision, deep learning, wireless telecommunications, drone navigation etc. are implemented on embedded devices.
Design and deliver working software for our small volume, fully functioning edge-compute devices, this could be software/firmware in any/all of these areas depending on skillset/desire:
- Computer vision algorithms and deep learning inference
- Wireless IoT comms
- Drone/robotics sensors and positioning
- Boot logic, HW drivers, board bring up & testing
- Control / state machines / interfaces
- Battery power monitoring and renewable energy charging
Essential skills/ experience:
- Degree in a computer science, mathematics or science subject
- Excellent C++ skills
- Strong logical, mathematical and data manipulation skills
- Strong prototyping and problem solving skills
- Proven fast learner, motivated to pick up new technologies with scientific understanding
- Strong Linux development skills.
- Strong software design and development experience, including OO design
- Awareness of low power electronic engineering for embedded devices
Desirable skills/ experience that will boost your application:
- Experience delivering commercial embedded software on various technologies
- Excellent skills with embedded software development on low power CPUs and microcontrollers/MCUs such as STM32, Baremetal, RToS
- Other coding languages, especially Python
- Experience manipulating JSON, XML and other data models / schemas
- Experience with various hardware interface technologies (device drivers, hardware drivers, serial, GPIO, interrupts, I2C etc.)
- Machine learning and computer vision solutions – OpenCV, Tensorflow, ISPs, etc.
- Experience working with camera sensors, modules and interfaces
- Experience with wireless technologies (LoRa, Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G, Bluetooth, GPS, GNSS etc.)
- CI/CD and Automation experience, including producing/consuming REST APIs
- Experience with modelling, especially Airsim, Unreal or Unity 3D
- Drone / UAS design/development experience
- Customer engagement experience
- Good skills in power profiling and power optimization
- Exposure to hardware (mechanics, electronics)
- Testing of software and devices
- Experience with renewable energy solutions and battery technologies
What you’ll get in return:
- Merit-based compensation (salary, bonuses, equity)
- Investment in you to be the best software engineer you can be, including training resources
- The ability to make a measurable difference in a small company with big ambitions
- Flexibility: Options for flexible working hours, working from home and custom arrangements that matter to you
- A technology-centric culture that understands developers & scientists
- As much responsibility as you are willing to take on
- A variety of perks: Gym discounts, cinema half price, free phone insurance, shopping and supermarket discounts plus many more!
- Location: Most of the work can be done remotely. Hardware-related work is based the Harwell Space Campus. Visits to the office for collaboration are encouraged (when possible).
- Security clearance: Due to the sensitive nature of some of our work, it would be beneficial for candidates to be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for this role
Recruitment agencies? We very rarely work with agencies, so we are unlikely to work with new ones. If you are an agency and really need to introduce yourself, please write to recruitment at archangel dot im and we will invite you to a bidding process if we ever need additional support.